Apologies for this review being rather long and being in parts, but It made it a little easier for me to write.Part 1 :
When I first picked up this product, I had no expectations, though the start of the novel did disappoint me. Also, up to a certain part of the book the movie was better.
Then I released that some points of the book were good and well written. (possible rape, restaurant scene and taking her home). I especially like the part were Bella said 'And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him.' In other parts though such as the shopping scene weren't so well written.
I believe that Bella comes across as rather useless and can't think or stand up for herself. This isn't how women should be portrayed in 21st century novels, especially by a female author. I think Stephanie Meyer should know better than this.
Although I'm 18 I feel to old for this book who I think is about 13 - 15 years old girls who either don't have boyfriends or really enjoy fantasies. So far I think this book is staring to suck (pardon the pun).
Part 2:
The part were Bella's friends find out that she and Edward are together was an enjoyable part of the book. For example, I like Mike's reaction 'I don't like it' and that she looks like food. I also like that Jessica rolled her eyes at Bella when she walked over to sit with Edward. Though I don't understand why Bella won't tell Charlie about her relationship with Edward.
One part that really irritates me in that Bella keeps going on and on about Edwards good looks. I dislike the constant attention to how attractive he is and it's getting annoying. Is there more to Edward than his dazzling good looks? I'm not interested in the whole wishy washy prince charming thing that Bella seems to be into. I understand that this is fiction but I don't appreciate fairy tale like stories.
So far I dislike Bella. She comes across as whinny, selfish and unhumanly shallow. (Since the only person she has interest in is the hot, shiny rich guy).
I do like Edward though, but he seems to be a perfect match for Bella. He broods, smolders and stalks Bells to show how much he is in love with her. Is watching her sleep at night really the best way to show this? (Bit to creepy for my liking). Though I do like Edward because he actually shows emotion such as love as well as concern. As a result I don't find him as selfish as Bella.
As for Jacob, he is described rather vaguely so far and doesn't really make much of an effect on me. All I can see is that he's to young for Bella and that his immaturity shows.
The dialogue is also rather poor, like the book it has good and bad points. For example the forest scene with Edward shows his skin I find the dialogue very good. 'As if you could outrun me', or 'As if you could fight me off'. Though some parts are very poor and don't meet my expectations.
Part 3:
I enjoyed the part were Bella Meets Edwards family. I was curious about their reaction and what could happen to her. I like Esme and Carlyle and enjoyed learning about their past. Also I really enjoyed Charlie's reaction to Bella and Edwards relationship.
I didn't like the baseball scene that much. I didn't think it was that well written compared to some scene's in the book. The dialogue wasn't great and the new vampires were rather vague. Though still a better scene than some I suppose.
I enjoyed the chase scene as I thought It was slightly better written and was better than some parts of the book. Also I enjoyed reading about Alice's ability to see into the future. I thought the scene were Bella said goodbye to Charlie was good, possibly some of the best in the book. Though I preferred the same scene in the movie because I felt more emotion towards Bella as well as Charlie.
The scene in the gallery wasn't that great, I think the descriptions could have been better. At least the dialogue was half decent in this section of the book. The escape from jasper was unrealistic as I don't understand how it couldn't be foreseen by Alice and how Jasper couldn't stop her.
When it comes to the prom I was rather bored until the conversation between Edward and Bella.
Unfortunately I won't be recommending this book. I know it has it's good points but I think it's mostly bad. As as result I didn't enjoy this book as much as I could have. There for this book doesn't get more than 2 stars.
No comments:
Post a Comment