"My name Is Salmon, like the fish; First name Susie. I was fourteen when I was murdered on December 6, 1973. My murderer was a man in our neighborhood."The first chapter wasn't an easy read. It describes the rape and murder of Susie Salmon, It's a gruesome scene dealt with in the most delicate way possible.
This book starts of brilliantly. It evokes nostalgia, warmth,care,pain and grief. It does this without being overly sentimental. Though, unfortunately it goes downhill about halfway through the novel. It becomes very unbelievable and loses momentum. At least that point the spell poor Susie had over me was broken.
During the book, we see the day to day life of those struggling with the loss of Susie, but about halfway through the book, it jumps two years in a matter of three pages. If you don't pay attention you'll easily lose timing within the book.
All I can say that this book was pretty average. It was a shame and only partly enjoyable, though I think the author could have quickened the plot slightly and had the book finished in twenty or so less pages. Also, certain characters could have been explored a little more.
No comments:
Post a Comment