I can happily say I thoroughly enjoyed this book and liked Zusaks writing style. He has a gift of imagery and manages an easy narrative warmth. I found the personification of death in this story very interesting and as it turns out, even death has a heart.Now, here's the thing with Holocaust fiction. There has to be truth, crude, ugly and blessed truth. It's the only way to tackle the monstrosity, the only way to show respect for the victims. So cosy isn't a word I should be using in a review of a World War 2 book, but as a character Leisel is just that. Sure she has a rough start and some rough times, but as a whole it's all been hunky dory really.Though I'll not go into detail, I'll let you read the book for yourself.
So there are some happy and tear worthy moments, but an awesome book all the same. This book is a recommendation and it gets 5 stars.
No comments:
Post a Comment