Saturday, 11 April 2020

The Children Act | Review

The first half of this book I simply didn't like. I found Fiona's relationship very dull and I didn't want to read on. Once this new case comes along and is underway it gets a little more interesting with little bits of dullness speckled through.

There were a few unnecessary flashbacks thrown in too which was a little too much for the book that didn't add anything to the plot or emotional balance of the book. This made it take longer to get through and dragged out the story too much for my liking.

I think the writing was very long-winded alongside the unnecessary flashbacks. It could've been a little easier to understand if there wasn't as much babble between important plot and character-driven points.

I think both Fiona and her husband were both insufferable in the beginning. By the end, they'd become less irritating to me and I began to like them. I thought Adam, the boy who needed medical attention given by Fiona (a high court judge), was very nieve, but am unsure if that was mostly down to his upbringing.

By the end, I was surprised. Adam didn't grow up but gave in, which of course was a shame and I'd hoped he'd have grown from his experiences with Fiana and severe illness. Although Fiana's marriage was in the shit and there was a slow but steady improvement in her relationship with her husband, I was surprised at how they managed to communicate a little bit.

If I could give an extra half star for the ending I totally would, but alas Goodreads won't allow me.

No comments:

Post a Comment