This book follows two storylines, but through the same stage play. The first is in 1952 and the other in the present. The first is Fawn and Walter whilst the other is Olive and Oscar in the present day. The storylines follow what happened during the same production being run nearly 70 years apart, though there are magic and ghosts throughout.The story within itself wasn't bad, but think it needed to be fleshed out in a few parts, especially the modern day one. It made me feel like I was watching it rather than experience it. If it was improved upon the book could have been one of my favourites this year. Because it wasn't that fleshed out I was very distracted and was easily confused by it, though the 1952 plot was much better and I enjoyed that part of the book.
The dialogue was ok but could have been a little better to help the book along a little bit.
I didn't care much for many of the characters, They almost all fell flat and were very two dimensional. I didn't care for Oscar too much even though he was one of the nicer characters, though I loved Fawn and Walters storyline and found theirs much better fleshed out.
I think Carrie could have done better with this book given that her other books are considerably better than this one. I hope that next time she takes her time and realises that quality is much better than quality with her books. I can only give this 2 stars on Goodreads and can't recommend this one, but will
probably read her next book.
No comments:
Post a Comment