Of course, I loved the story like all of her other books. She knows how to get you invested in the characters and the story that they tell. You will love them, feel terrible and completely understand them.
It's a very character driven book, like her first two. It has brilliant imagery of Brighton Pier. I think because I live in a seaside town I can easily smell the seaweed, taste the vinegar and feel the sand in my feet. Because of this, I found it to be an easy, yet emotional read.
The writing is always brilliant, Ruth quickly hooks you into the book within a few pages, making it a very quick read.
I loved Tilly, her storyline as a child was very sweet and I loved her innocence and complete acceptance of everything around her. Though the questions she has with her childhood curiosity was hysterical.
At first, you will dislike the mother, as all you see is what Tilly sees and understands. Though later on in the book you understand her a little more, without forgetting what she's done you can pity her.
I loved Queenie and her staff, they were eccentric and made the hotel feel homely and safe for Tilly. They gave the story a little extra something that made me love it more.
I gave this 4 stars on Goodreads and highly recommend.

No comments:
Post a Comment